Thursday, December 3, 2015

Serial For Breakfast

The card company executive that thought up the idea of making very limited edition trading cards and putting serial numbers on them is a bona fide genius. Let's face it, getting a card with a serial number makes the average collector feel like part of an exclusive club. You know like a rich person who buys expensive art, cars, watches etc. Well, maybe not at quite that level, but you know the type of people I'm talking about. My point is that serial numbering (especially low print runs) make a low budget collector, such as myself, feel like a Trump or Buffett or Gates.

This morning, I thought I'd serve up some cereal serial for breakfast. These gems were in the 10 for 25 dollar box at my LCS.

2006 Turkey Red "Red" Hideki Matsui 023/150

Nice swatch with a pinstripe, and only 149 other collectors can have this beauty too!
Next up:

2010 Silk Livan Hernandez 25/50

OK. So it's just one of those contrived "manufactured" things from Topps. Still, only 49 other lucky folks can have the joy of one of these.
Moving right along:

2008 Upper Deck Spectrum Connor Jackson...dig that crazy low number...06/15!

Now we're really talking about getting up there in the rarefied collecting air. Only 14 of our fellow collectors can claim to have one of these.
Finally, let's wrap this up with something that drives some collectors wild:

2008 Upper Deck Premier Ben Sheets

Now that's a prime example of the ever-popular "eBay 1 of 1" syndrome (as I like to call it). The serial on this quad-swatch baby is 01/15 [editor note: sorry for the poor scan-this one was slightly chipped and didn't want to punish it any further]. Once again, only 14 other long-suffering collectors will ever own a copy of this one.
Wow. I feel like I'm in the penthouse now.
Thanks for being here.
Rog

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely a sucker for the serial numbers. My favorite is that Godzilla! (Matsui)

    ReplyDelete